1. We sing the praise of Him who died,
Of Him who died upon the cross;
The sinners' Hope let men deride,
For this we count the world but loss.
2. Inscribed upon that cross we see
In shining letters "God is Love."
He bears our sins upon the tree,
He brings us mercy from above.
3. The cross!--it takes our guilt away.
It holds the fainting spirit up,
It cheers with hope the gloomy day,
And sweetens every bitter cup.
4. It makes the coward spirit brave
And nerves the feeble arm for fight;
It takes all terror from the grave
And gilds the bed of death with light.
5. The balm of life, the cure of woe,
The measure and the pledge of love,
The sinners' refuge here below,
The angels theme in heaven above.
Hymn #178 from _The Lutheran Hymnal_
Text: Gal. 6:14
Author: Thomas Kelly, 1815
Tune: "O Jesu Christ, mein's"
1st Published in: _Nuernbergisches Gesangbuch," 1676